Tuesday, February 16, 2010

RIP Ginger Girl

Ginger, I just heard from your Mom that you had to be put down. I am so sorry that you were so ill, lovely girl. Your Mom's heart was so broken and there was nothing I could do. But don't let sadness take anything away from the wonderful life that you lived. I am sad only because I didn't get to say goodbye to you. I am sad because I know I will miss you so much. But you're in a better place now, where you aren't suffering anymore.

I don't know if you ever knew what you meant to me. I wasn't your "Mommy" but you touched my heart in a way that surprised even a dog-lover like me. You were one of the prettiest Golden Retrievers I ever knew, with a heart to go with your physical beauty.


I still remember the first day my dog JackJack and I met you at the dog park. I had adopted JackJack only a week ago and the two of us were still working on getting to know each other. The moment JackJack and I met you, we knew you were a really special dog. You were so generous. You allowed JackJack to fetch your ball. You're the only dog I knew who did that.

How could I ever forget how special you made me feel? Whenever you saw me at the park, you would stop playing "fetch" to come running up to greet me. Granted, sometimes you had just got out from swimming in the lake and you saw me as a handy "towel" to wipe yourself dry, but most of the time you really wanted to say hello. I love how you spoke to me, with your happy whimper. I will always remember what a positive attitude you had toward everyone and everything. I don't know if you even knew what it was to dislike. You embraced life and enjoyed every minute of it. You played, you ran, you swam, you greeted, you made everybody around you feel good. As time went by I noticed that you were growing older, from the white hair that was appearing on your pretty face. But that make you any less of the dog you were. You still went a mile a minute.

Your legacy will always be how happy you made all of us who were fortunate enough to know you. You were true love personified. All your doggie friends - Sabrina, Kola, Makana, Mia, JackJack, just to name a few - their world will be emptier place without you.

This blog is dedicated to you. Rest in Peace, wonderful dog.

No comments: