Sunday, September 29, 2013

Miley Mania

While I was watching Saturday Night Live last night, I learned that Miley Cyrus was going to host and be the musical guest next week.  

I breathed I sigh of frustration.  There seems to be no getting away from Miley.  What do I do now?  Do I watch the show or do I not?

Miley Cyrus has been on SNL before, and she wasn't half bad.  It's just that she seems a little overexposed now.  I don't just mean the Wrecking Ball video, I mean how much she's in the news.  They say that it doesn't matter whether the publicity is positive or negative, at the end it's still publicity.  Oh well, I personally choose not to pay attention to Miley's shenanigans.  That, however, is sometimes difficult to do when the news is shoved in my face all the time.

I think it all began a few years ago when, at age 15, she posed for famed photographer Annie Liebovitz draped in a bed sheet.  The pictures were published in Vanity Fair and stirred a lot of controversy.  There was a faction of people who thought it was inappropriate, while others said that there was nothing wrong with the pictures, as they were tastefully done.  There was talk about the pictures being an attempt to re-brand Miley as transitioning from a young Hannah Montana to a grown up.  Be that as it may, to me that was the beginning of the controversy.

Cut to the more recent news stories.  Forbes Magazine has suggested that the twerking, the wrecking ball, all of it was the continued re-branding of a girl grown up.  I am not buying that argument.  There have been MANY actors who took to the screen as children, who made the transition from child to adult very seamlessly.  It wasn't difficult for the public to accept them.  

Which brings me back to my original question - do I watch Saturday Night Live next week, or do I not?  The show itself has been no stranger to its own controversy, pushing the envelope on numerous occasions.  There was Sinead O'Connor holding up a picture of the then Pope, and tearing it down the center.  There was Ashley Simpson lip-syncing her song.  There are probably several other skits and moments that don't come to mind.  But I still watch the show, not for the controversy but for the fact that it continues to be amusing and brilliant.  It has its peaks and valleys, but it is worth watching.  And I think I will watch next week.  In any case, if it isn't good enough to hold my interest, I fall asleep.  


No comments: