Saturday, May 14, 2011

Serendipity - An Essay In Pictures

I love living in the Pacific Northwest.  It is truly a breathtakingly beautiful place.  We are blessed with evergreens that help us survive long winters.  We see mountains any direction we look on a clear day.  Up North is the splendid Mt. Baker, South is the magnificent Mt. Rainier. To the East we have the Cascade Mountains and in the West, the Olympics serve as a perfect backdrop to beautiful Downtown Seattle.  To add to this, there are sprawling lakes.  And finally, a pearl in the oyster that is Luther Burbank Park on Mercer Island.  
 


 
 With Lake Washington along the banks of the park, no admission fee and free parking, discovering Luther Burbank Park was a truly serendipitous experience.


 In the picture above, you can see the I-90 bridge across Lake Washington.
 

I am fortunate to have a job that I love, which involves interacting with people almost all the time.  I also enjoy hanging out with my friends.  But truth be told, I am inherently an introvert, and every once in a while I need the solitude of being alone in the company of my dog



This is the bench on which I usually sit at the park. 



I can enjoy the silence as I decompress from a busy week at work.  I can feel my soul soothed by the serenity of the turquoise blue water lapping quietly against the shore. 

 


Luther Burbank Park to JackJack means an offleash play area where he can interact with other dogs.  He can look his pretty little self just by standing on a rock and looking into the water.


  It is also a place where he can play fetch and swim.   Lake Washington offers him relief from the high temperatures on warm summer days.  Of course, we make sure to go to the park early in the day to enjoy the quiet and also to avoid parking problems.



    After a good solid couple of hours of swimming and running, JackJack feels tired but rejuvenated.



We sit together and enjoy a few more minutes in the park before we leave for home.  I take in the fresh air and gaze at the water, while JackJack sits in the shade of a large tree and chews gently on his toy rubber ball.




When it's finally time to leave, I take one last look back at the great view.  And every time, the words of this song come to mind:

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
Bright blessed days, dark sacred nights
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world 
                                                ~Louis Armstrong


Until the next time.  

1 comment:

Becky said...

Suz, you do live in a beautiful space. Thank you for sharing it.

I've reached the 5 year anniversary for my blog. If you get a chance, pop over and register for my giveaway!

Becky