Saturday, November 20, 2010

An Attitude of Gratitude

In 1863, President Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday in November as a national day of Thanksgiving.  

As an immigrant to this wonderful country, Thanksgiving was one of the honored traditions I was more than happy to adopt.  For one thing, there was all the food, and I love food.  But deeper than that, there was the acknowledgement of all the blessings I had been fortunate enough to receive.  Our extended family would share our Thanksgiving meal together, a peaceful and wonderful time before the frenzy of the holidays began.  
My cousin Rachel wrote a blog this past week titled Giving Thanks.  As I read the list of blessings that Rachel is thankful for, I began to count the blessings bestowed on me through grace alone, not because I have been deserving of them.  I say this because a couple of months ago I realized that I acknowledged my blessings with no more than a perfunctory thanks, while I focussed all my thoughts on what I didn't have.  Every time I thought about everything I believed was lacking in my life, I would think, "How much longer am I supposed to wait?"  Little did I realize that rather than making things happen I was waiting for them to happen.  I began to seek out daily self-motivational quotes which I would post as my Facebook status to inspire myself.  

Going deep into my thoughts is not a place I like to go, because it brings up feelings and emotions that are easier not to have to deal with.  But this past week I gathered up the courage to make that journey.  Through tears and remorse I came back with a feeling that I needed to be more grateful.  Not just on or around Thanksgiving, but every day of my life.  There was a saying I read once, that goes: "Think not of what you lack as of what you have; of what you have select the best, considering how you would seek them if you had them not."  

Beginning Monday, I am going to write a daily Gratitude Journal. My initial thought was to begin my Gratitude Journal on New Years day, then I kicked my own behind with the thought that procrastination is another vice of mine that I need to shake off Every day I wake up is a day to be thankful, so why wait?

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm thankful for you! Have fun journaling!

suz616 said...

Thank you Rachel, I am thankful to have a cousin like you! Love and kisses to the little Kutti.