Friday, September 17, 2010

Heeeere's Wendy!


Picture: Courtesy Wendy Liebman
 "I wanted to get married at the drive-through wedding chapel. That way if I wanted a divorce, I could just drive in reverse."

That was the first joke I ever heard from Wendy Liebman. She was being interviewed by a local radio station back in 1999. (103.7 FM - The Mountain, Seattle WA.) I have since then had the opportunity to hear Wendy on the radio station's 7:20 and 5:20 Funny. The more I heard this smart, amazingly funny comedian the more I was hooked!

By her own admission, Wendy Liebman has been told that she resembles Ruth Buzzi, Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss and Prince.....Charles, who she thinks looks like a frog that had been kissed but it didn't quite take. That is what I love about Wendy's act, the timing of her delivery. Just when you think you've heard the joke in its entirety, she delivers a zinger of a line that makes you laugh even harder. Wendy also didn't want to go to her 30 year reunion because she had put on 100 lbs....since kindergarten. She loves weddings, but she always cries...because they are not hers. Wendy Liebman has been described as "The Comedian With The Subliminal Afterthought" and "The lady with the time-release punch-line."

If you have never heard of Wendy Liebman, you can watch her clips on YouTube and judge for yourself. Her humor is very self-deprecating at times, but that only comes from her self-confidence. Upon reading her bio, I realized that Wendy is a very down to earth person. There is a section titled "What I learned doing Stand Up", which contains some sage advice that can be carried over to anyone's life. "Prepare, show up, do your best and learn for the next time." Who can argue with that?

This past week I got to experience Wendy in her element. By now, if you haven't seen/heard of the Meat Dress worn by Lady Gaga to the MTV Video Music Awards, you must either be a hermit or living under a rock. Whether you think it was a bold move, or found it totally repulsive, you have to admit that the situation was just begging for a joke or two. My twisted mind took me back to 1984 when the fast food chain "Wendy's" ran the "Where's the Beef" commercials.  "There's the beef", I thought to myself.  I wondered what Wendy Liebman's take on the Lady Gaga Meat Dress situation would be.

Wendy delivered via Facebook. Here are her status messages from the past week about Lady Gaga and the Meat Dress:

"I heard Lady Gaga wore a dress made out of meat to the VMAs and is planning a cover of Who Let The Dogs Out"

"If it had been kangaroo meat, Lady G would have had pockets"

"Lady Gs dress would have looked better with spaghetti straps. (My last update on this.)"

Except that wasn't the last update. There were more:

"Pret-a-Porterhouse"

"I'm just surprised she found a cow her exact size!"

"Gaga is the sound I make when I eat meat"

Each of these status messages generated some really awesome and funny comments.
So Wendy came up with:

"Who wants to compile a book of all of these (and ones from my other updates) and who wants to illustrate it and who wants to publish it, produce it, market it, distribute it, sell it, and go to Fiji with the profits?"

I would so love to be the one to get a book published, but I would need everyone to agree. Besides, I don't have the time. What I did manage to get though, is for Wendy to agree to let me share with you the ones I've posted above.

Wendy Liebman is going to be at the Laughs Comedy Spot in Kirkland from October 21st through the 23rd. I, for one, just can't WAIT!

Thank you for the laughs Wendy Liebman. Keep them coming. You rock!

No comments: