Friday, July 2, 2010

A Dog's Life


My name is JackJack. I was born in Wenatchee, WA on April 18th, 2005.

I don't remember much about my early life, but I was one among 27 dogs that were rounded up from a hoarding situation and taken to the animal shelter. I became a ward of the county. At some point I remember being taken in by a wonderful foster family. I would have loved to live with them forever, but they had said from the beginning that they weren't going to adopt me. They wanted to be a full-time foster family so they could give pups like me a chance to make it in the world. It still would have been nice if my foster family had made an exception for me. I was really sad to part ways with them, but that's how it is sometimes I guess. I was turned back in at the animal shelter.

I wasn't sure what was going to happen to me. I was intact, so I'd get into fights with other male dogs very often. My feisty spirit earned me my own little space in the shelter, a little 4 ft by 6ft cell. That was great, but also a little scary. I had heard that if a dog hadn't been neutered, chances were that he wouldn't make it for too long. I was fed and walked 3 times a day, but the rest of my life was just sitting around doing nothing. I became really bored and began to wonder if there was more to my life than just eating and sleeping. I had so much to give. Every time I interacted with people, I tried to win them over by playing up my cuteness. I hoped so desperately that one of the staff in the shelter would fall in love with me and take me home with them. Sadly, that was not to be. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would probably die at the shelter, or even worse, be put down.

In my heart I do believe every dog is born for a human family, and the purpose of a dog's life is to be that family's pet. Sometimes the dog is fortunate to be born into his family and be a part of their life, other times the dog has to search for his family and still other times, the family must search for their dog. Since I really didn't have the option of going out to find my family, I began to dream an almost hopeless dream. I dreamed that one day my family would come by the shelter and see me. I dreamed that they would take one look at me and decide to take me home with them. I dreamed that once I was home, I would know what it was like to be loved and to be able to love back. I would have the chance to interact with all the wonderful people and dogs and everything that existed in the world outside. I would run like the wind on the green grass, I would chase butterflies; I would swim in a lake during summer. When the day was done, I would rest my weary body in a comfortable dog bed, breathe a deep sigh and fall asleep with a smile on my face. Dogs think in pictures, not in words. In my mind’s eye I could picture all these thoughts as if they were real. Through my thoughts, I began to talk to the family that I believed I was born to be with. I said to them, "I'm waiting for you to come and take me home. I know you will come. Please, please, please come take me home soon, I don't know how much longer I can bear to be here." Families came by to see me. Each time they did, I wondered if the day had come when I would be adopted. I would really ham it up and put on a good show when I spent time with them. They would talk about how cute and energetic I was, and that would raise my hopes up even more. But each time I would be returned to my space in the shelter. And each time I died a little inside.

I barely noticed the lady who came to see me one day when I was almost a year old. She came alone, without any children. That was unusual. The shelter staff put a leash on me and the lady walked me out into the yard. I didn't really put on a show for her, because at that point I didn't really care. But one thing I noticed that was different about this lady was that for some unknown reason she seemed to want me. I tested her patience to see if that would change her mind. I tugged at the leash. I was really hyperactive and wouldn't listen to anything the lady had to say. She took me back into the shelter and put me back in my cell. I began to bark at her when she was leaving. I wondered why she even bothered spending any time with me. I obviously wasn't worth it. I will never forget what happened next. The lady turned around and told me, "Don't worry sweetie, I'll come back for you. I promise." I remember thinking to myself, "Whatever." I so wanted to believe her, but I didn't think I could handle any more disappointment.

Over the next few days, strange events began to happen. I was first moved to a Veterinary Hospital. I was put on an acre-large dog run, which meant I could run free all day. That was so much better than the little 4' by 6' prison cell at the animal shelter! On my second day at the hospital, I remember being told that it was my birthday. I was given a check-up. At some point during the check-up, the doctor administered a shot that put me to sleep. As I drifted off, I heard the doctor say to me, "I'm sorry I have to do this to you on your birthday, little buddy." I remember wondering what he meant. When I woke up, there were parts of me that were missing. I was in so much pain. But everyone was so nice to me and took such good care of me that I soon recovered. I really enjoyed myself at the Veterinary Hospital because I felt what it was like to be free, and I got a chance to interact with other dogs. Then about a week after I was moved to the Hospital, I was more than surprised to see the lady from the shelter, the one who promised she'd come back for me. I was so much happier now and I gave her the warmest greeting I could. The lady put a brand new collar and leash on me and led me out. She got me into the back seat of a car and she drove. We drove for about 2 hours, stopping twice along the way for potty breaks.

That was four years ago. I can't complain about the way things turned out for me. Remember that dream I told you about? That dream is real, except that reality is so much more than what I expected. I feel the grass under my paws as I run to fetch a ball. I chase butterflies, I play with other dogs, and I swim in the lake. I learned that the lady's name is Susanna and she is my family. She loves me like you cannot imagine. She cooks my food, walks me, teaches me new things. She has taught me to speak, stay, roll over, weave, high-five, shake her hand and beg. She buys me toys and treats. Best of all, during summer she takes me to the park every day. I love Susanna as much as any dog can. Life couldn't be any better. I am home.

Although I could never know JackJack's thoughts, I can't help but believe that at least some of my interpretation of them is true. When I was ready to adopt a dog, I wanted a female beagle. But I happened to go online to petfinder.com and I saw a picture of JackJack. He was in Wenatchee, 250 or so miles away. There is an animal shelter about 6 miles away, which had two female beagles available for adoption. I cannot explain it, but something kept drawing me to JackJack. It made no sense at all. He was male. He was not a beagle. He was 250 miles away. But something inside me kept telling me that JackJack was the dog for me. My belief is that he was seeking me out and I was being guided to him. When I went to visit him in Wenatchee, JackJack wasn't exactly the best dog. He tested my patience during my time with him. He tugged at his leash and the word “No” meant absolutely nothing to him. When I went to fill in the paperwork the staff told me that they needed his space for another dog but they couldn't release him to me until he was neutered. The whole situation was quite insane, really. My only option was to have him boarded at the Vet for $20 a day. I had to board JackJack for a whole week because I couldn't make the 250 mile drive until the next weekend. I had no choice, because that inner voice inside me wouldn’t shut up!

The moment I put him in my car for the long ride back home, I knew I had made the right decision. JackJack was such a good dog, he sat quietly as he looked outside the window. At one point he rode shotgun with me a few miles. Through the corner of my eye I could see him looking up at me. I couldn't have asked for a sweeter, nicer dog. JackJack makes me laugh with his crazy antics and touches my heart with his kindness to everyone around him. He is such good company, always wanting to learn, always wanting to please. He has such a zest for life. Every time I look at him, he looks so happy. I think of the chain of events that brought us together. There's no other way I can explain it. It’s a miracle.



8 comments:

Rachel said...

Susanna, that was beautiful and I got a little teary-eyed. Jack Jack is one lucky dog! xo

suz616 said...

Wow Rachel, thank you! I was in the middle of refining it (the preview option sucks!) and you already commented! I'm the lucky one to end up with JackJack. He's such a great dog. I hope you get to meet him the next time you're here.

MyBecca said...

Sweetest family union ever! Hope to meet him someday! You are really an amazing writer! Truly gifted!

Lynne said...

Suz, that made me cry. Jack Jack and you are lucky to have found one another.

suz616 said...

Rebecca, thank you for reading my blog and for your comments. We can arrange for you to meet JackJack :-)

Lynne, thank you too for reading and for your comment. Our furbabies are such a blessing, aren't they? Hugs and love to Seamus.

Kumail said...

JackJack seems like an intelligent guy, you're lucky he's adopted you :)
Lovely post, Susanna.

suz616 said...

You got that right, Kumail. I'm lucky he adopted me. Yes, he is remarkably smart. I'll save that for another post :-)

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment. Hope to see you next February.

Sameena Ahmed said...

Suzie, you were right, this blog did stir up emotions and I am not even a dog person!

Keep writing...LOL